Dadtography Presents: The #SmarterShot Photography Contest & Giveaway
Please note: this contest is closed.
Dadtography.com is proud to announce our first photography event and challenge! This is a big one, for sure, so be sure to read carefully below.
Take the #SmarterShot Challenge: Enter to Win a Samsung NX30!
Smartphones and smart cameras are both great photographic options and finding a camera that works well with your phone is a huge bonus. The larger challenge specifically for parents is knowing when to use which photographic tool and getting your devices to work in harmony for sharing.
On one hand, a smartphone is great for those spontaneous “the best camera is the camera you have with you” moments. On the other hand, a smart camera is a better choice for capturing memories or chronicling events or moments. Identifying these moments and capturing these shots like a pro is the driving force behind the #SmarterShot contest and the entire Dadtography.com website!
I've been fortunate in my experience as a Samsung USA Imageloggers because I was introduced to the Samsung NX lineup of smart cameras. What's that mean? Well, in a nutshell smart cameras are wireless device friendly. It's super easy for me to take a shot with one of my cameras, download it onto my smart phone (I have a Samsung Note), make a few edits in an app like Snapped, and post to the social media channel of my choice!In fact, my ability to shoot and post "on the go" like this has uniquely allowed me to start this very website. 99.9% of the photos you see on this site were taken with Samsung NX cameras. I'd really like to share that experience with one lucky Dadtography.com visitor.
What is the #SmarterShot Challenge?
The #SmarterShot challenge is a photography contest that will include photo submissions to Dadtography.com.
The challenge will run one month and will include four weekly challenges. One finalist will be chosen per week along with 3 additional finalists for a total of 7 finalists. Finalist photos are determined by the number of social shares (aka votes) they have received. A winning photo submission will be chosen at the end of the one month period by the panel of Imagelogger judges. Photos won't necessarily be based on how "good" they are, as far as image quality but will be judged on other factors such as composition, creativity and originality as well.
In other words, you don't have to be a "pro" to win this challenge!
How to Enter the #SmarterShot Dadtography Challenge
That's right - you can win your very own Samsung NX30 camera kit (camera + lens) just by entering into the #SmarterShot challenge. Let's dig into the details of how we make that happen.
- Submit your best photo(s) by visiting http://dadtography.com/share.
- Once your photo is approved on the site, ask your friends to find the photo on Dadtography.com and share your photos on social media to get more "votes". Don't forget to add the #SmarterShot hashtag to photos you share on social media!
- Top vote-getters will become finalists. A panel of Imagelogger judges will select one winner from the finalist photos.
#SmarterShot Weekly Challenges
A weekly challenge will be given to help inspire different types of imagery. A weekly winner will be chosen and entered as one of the finalists for the contest. Four (4) weekly challenge winners will be determined, based on their social share (vote) count. The challenge photo each week with the most "votes" is automatically nominated as a finalist!
- Week 1 challenge: Take a selfie or a wefie – be unique and introduce yourself or your family! What do you love most about them?
- Week 2 challenge: Take a candid shot of someone in your family. What do you think was going through their mind at the time? What was going through yours as you took the shot?
- Week 3 challenge: Take a photo of two or more people holding hands or showing closeness / togetherness in your family.
- Week 4 challenge: Take a photo of an exciting moment in your life and share the story of how it made you feel.
#SmarterShot Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Do I have to be a dad to enter? Nope! Anyone aged 18 or older may enter the challenge.
- Do I have to submit photos of my child? No, we prefer the photo include you or be a photo you shot, but they can be any subject matter. Please keep all photos family-friendly (PG).
- Can I really win a free camera? Yes, the Samsung NX30 camera is waiting for one lucky winner to submit the winning #SmarterShot photo!
- How many times can I enter? Each photo you submit to http://dadtography.com/share counts as one entry. You can submit up to ten (10) photos for the contest. The most important part of the challenge is to participate in the weekly challenges and ask your friends to share your photos on social media for more votes!
- How are finalist photos determined? There will be a total of seven (7) finalist photos - three (3) "at large" photos based on their social shares or "vote" count. These don't have to follow the weekly challenge suggestions. They can be photos of anything you'd like! Four (4) weekly challenge winners will also be determined by the number of social shares or "vote" count they receive at the end of each challenge week.
- What social media platforms count for social shares or "votes"? Facebook and Twitter will be the two social media platforms that will be used to determine vote count (as indicated by the vote count number on your photo's page on Dadtography.com).
- When does voting stop for at-large photos? The 3 "at-large" photos at the conclusion of the contest with the most shares not already nominated as part of a weekly challenge will be included as finalists. At-large photos are not determined until the end and therefore "votes" / shares can continue until the end of the contest (end of August).
- When does the voting stop for weekly challenge photos? Weekly challenge photo social shares / "votes" are counted up until the announcement of the next weekly challenge - 8am eastern time, each Monday during the challenge.
#SmarterShot Official Rules
- You don't have to be a dad to enter.
- No purchase is necessary.
- Photos are submitted by visiting http://dadtography.com/share. Dadtography and / or Daniel Ruyter are not responsible for the functionality of the submission page, social sharing or website.
- Entries are limited to 10 per household.
- Three finalist photos will be chosen based on the number of votes (social shares) by supporters, as displayed by their photo’s page on Dadtography.com.
- The following social networks votes will be used to determine the finalist vote count: Facebook, Twitter & Google+.
- One weekly challenge winner will also be included as a finalist. A total of 7 finalists will be chosen.
- One winning photo will be chosen by a Dadtography.com panel of experts / Imageloggers. The decision is final.
- One lucky winner will win a Samsung NX30 camera kit (ARV $999).
- Open to US residents 18 years of age or older.
- Void where prohibited.
- By entering, you are agreeing to our Privacy & User Generated Content Policy.
You can also download the full official rules and challenge overview (PDF).
Samsung NX30 Specs Overview
I received my NX30 as part of the Imagelogger program back in March of 2014 and I continue to actively use it today. A few of the highlight specifications of the NX30 include the following:
- 20.3 megapixels
- CMOS sensor - .93 x .62 inches
- Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens
- NFC & Wi-Fi enabled
- Samsung NX Lens Mount
- ISO 100 - 25,600
- Tilt / swivel 3" OLED LCD at 720 x 480 resolution
- SDXC, SDHC memory card compatibility
- h.264 / ACV, MPEG-4 video at 1920 x 1080 (1080p) resolution
- Manufacturer's suggested retail (MSRP): $999 USD
I've taken thousands of images with this camera over the 14 months I've had it. The camera is a true workhorse no matter what lens you pair with it - from the kit 18-55mm that comes with it to the 85mm f/1.4, I was always happy with the way my images and videos turned out with this camera.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."